Nonimmigrant Visas: Study & Exchange

Limited Non-immigrant Visa Appointments Available

The U.S. Embassy continues to operate largely via telework. The Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in Malabo, Equatorial Guinea has a limited number of appointments now available for the following services:

Non-immigrant Visa Services

Student Visas F M

For academic and vocational studies.

  1. Overview
  2. How to Apply
  3. Fees
  4. Required Documentation
  5. Spouses and Children

Exchange Visitor Visa J

For participation in an approved exchange program.

  1. Overview
  2. How to Apply
  3. Fees
  4. Required Documentation
  5. Spouses and Children

Make the Appointment 

Make an appointment by contacting and provide the following information:

  1. When does your class date start?
  2. Send us a scanned copy of the bio-page of your passport.
  3. Send us a scanned copy of your F-1 (I-20).
  4. Send us a scanned copy of your DS-160 application.
  5. Send us a scanned copy of your SEVIS payment.

Once we receive the above information, we will contact you for the date of your appointment.


U.S. Embassy Malabo, Equatorial Guinea
Email address:

The Student (F-1/M-1) Visa provides opportunities for qualified applicants to study at accredited post secondary institutions in the United States. With thousands of academic programs, world-class institutions, and unmatched flexibility, the United States offers a wealth of higher-education opportunities. Visit the Department of State’s EducationUSA website to learn about educational opportunities for undergraduate and graduate study, opportunities for scholars, admissions, and more.

The Exchange Visitor (J-1) Visa program provides countless opportunities for international candidates looking to travel and gain experience in the United States. The multifaceted programs enable foreign nationals to come to the United States to teach, study, conduct research, demonstrate special skills or receive on the job training for periods ranging from a few weeks to several years. To learn more about exchange visitor visa programs, program sponsors, and more, please visit J-1

Citizens of Visa Waiver Program (VWP) participating countries who intend to study cannot travel on the VWP or on visitor (B) visas, except to undertake recreational study as part of a tourist visit. Students must travel to the United States with student (F-1 or M-1) visas. For more information on the VWP, see Visa Waiver Program.

For short periods of recreational study, a Visitor (B) visa can be used. Enrollment in a short recreational course of study, which is not for credit toward a degree or academic certificate, is permitted on a visitor (B) visa. Learn more about Visitor Visas.

Study leading to a U.S. conferred degree or certificate is not permitted on a visitor (B) visa, even if it is for a short duration. For example, distance learning which requires a period of time on the institution’s U.S. campus requires an F-1 visa.