A child born in Equatorial Guinea to a U.S. citizen parent may be entitled to U.S. citizenship. The parent or legal guardian should file a “Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America” (Form FS-240) as soon as possible with the Consular Section.

How to Apply for a Certificate of Birth Abroad

For a certificate of report of birth abroad, you’ll need to fill out the DS-2029 which can be found at the following link: 62 KB)

If you also want to do the passport application for the baby, the DS-11 is found below. You’ll need to bring at least one 2X2 photo on white background. (PDF 100 KB)

The signatures to the documents on the forms must be done in front of a consular officer. Both parents should generally appear at the interview unless there are extenuating circumstances (contact the Consular Section for more information at Parents must bring valid photo IDs such as a passport, driver’s license, or national ID card.

Other things to bring:

  • the baby’s local birth certificate
  • marriage certificate (if you have one)
  • hospital records
  • documents showing that the U.S. citizen parent lived in the U.S. for 5 years such as social security earnings statement or 5 calendar years of tax returns. Please provide originals only.

To obtain your social security earnings statement, please visit

Appointments are available on Tuesdays at 9 am. The cost for a certificate of birth abroad is $100 USD  and the cost for a minor passport is $115 USD  payable in cash or U.S. credit card.

To make an appointment, please visit the link below and take a Passport appointment.

Please email for any additional questions about consular services.