Location: Equatorial Guinea
Event: On November 20th, 2019, a ship was attacked by pirates in Equatorial Guinea’s territorial waters. Security forces have been placed on heightened alert in Malabo and throughout the country. The U.S. Embassy is not aware of any threats to U.S. citizens.
Actions to take:
- Use caution when walking or driving at night
- Be aware of your surrounding
- We recommend that U.S. citizens carry either originals or copies of their identity documents and be prepared to stop at checkpoints manned by security forces.
- Monitor local media for updates
- Review your personal security plan
U.S. Embassy Malabo, Equatorial Guinea
+(240) 333-095-741or +(240) 555-516-008 (after hours)
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Equatorial Guinea Country Information
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates