An official website of the United States government

Notaries Public

Notarial Services

Please note: The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the entities or individuals whose names appear on the following lists. Inclusion on this list is in no way an endorsement by the Department or the U.S. government. Names are listed alphabetically, and the order in which they appear has no other significance. The information on the list is provided directly by the local service providers; the Department is not in a position to vouch for such information.

Notarial services are for all nationalities and are by appointment only; please visit here to make an appointment.

Normally the document to be notarized is for use within the United States, although there may be exceptions. If you have multiple documents to be notarized, you should only make one appointment. You will pay $50 USD, at the Embassy on your day of appointment, for each notary seal required. Some notarial services may be performed free of charge; see pages 6, 7 and 8 of the State Department’s Schedule of Fees for Consular Services (PDF, 268KB).

Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your appointment time. On the day of your appointment, you must:

  • Bring the complete, unsigned documents to be notarized. Even if there are pages that do not require signature or seals, you must present the entire packet.
  • Present a valid government-issued ID such as a passport, driver’s license, etcThe name on the documents must be the same as the name on your ID.
  • Pay $50 USD per notary seal (payment accepted in cash – U.S. dollars, XFA, or major credit card if you are a U.S. Citizen).
  • Be of sound mind and understand the document you want notarized. Consular staff is not permitted to explain contents to you.
  • If your notary service requires a witness, you must arrange for your own witnesses. Consular staff cannot witness your documents.

Click for different types of notarial and authentication services.

The U.S. Embassy does not provide apostille services. If you need a U.S. birth certificate apostilled, you must follow instructions for the state where the child was born. You may visit this comprehensive list of state websites for how to request a birth certificate. To apostille a U.S. birth certificate, you must follow the instructions listed on the individual state’s website.

Examples of Notarial Services Performed At No Charge

DS-3053: To notarize a DS-3053 Statement of Consent: Issuance of a U.S. Passport To a Minor Under Age 16, please review the instructions listed on the form, the information fields that must be completed, and bring your original, valid, government-issued photo ID as well as a photocopy of both sides. As the U.S. Department of State requires that this form be notarized, this service is performed free of charge.

Power of Attorney (in conjunction with U.S. passport applications): When both parents are unable to be personally present to apply for a minor’s U.S. passport, and they wish to designate a third party to do so, they may sign a power of attorney (POA) before a notary public. This POA must contain specific data fields; see a sample.  Note that photocopies of both sides of each parents’ original, valid, government-issued photo ID must be included with the POA. As the U.S. Department of State requires that this form be notarized, this service is performed free of charge.

The following documents cannot be notarized at a U.S. Embassy

Apostille/Legalize U.S. Birth/Marriage/Divorce/Death Certificates

U.S. Embassies and Consulates do not have the authority to affix an “apostille” to American documents.  Please do not schedule an appointment for this.  The Secretary of State in the State where the document was issued is authorized to affix the apostille on a birth/death certificate.  The apostille will officially authenticate the signature and seal of your state issued certificate for use in another country.

Certified Copy of Academic Credentials

The Embassy and Consulates cannot provide this service.   Please do not schedule an appointment for this.  Please contact the issuing educational institution. More information is available from the Department of State website here.

Obtain Copies of U.S. Vital Records

The Embassy and Consulates cannot provide copies of U.S. vital records.  Please do not schedule an appointment for this.  In order to obtain any state government issued document concerning birth, death, marriage or divorce, you may order one from the website of the National Center for Health Statistics.