An official website of the United States government

Eligibility for a CRBA

Please contact the U.S. Department of State or the U.S. Embassy Equatorial Guinea where your child will be born for more information about eligibility requirements and how to register your child’s U.S. citizenship.

A child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents may acquire U.S. citizenship at birth if certain statutory requirements are met. The child’s parents should contact the U.S. embassy in Equatorial Guinea to apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (DS-2029) to document that the child is a U.S. citizen. If the U.S. embassy or consulate determines that the child acquired U.S. citizenship at birth, a consular officer will approve the CRBA application and the Department of State will issue a CRBA, also called a Form FS-240, in the child’s name.