Ambassador Furuta-Toy to Equatoguineans: U.S. Academic Institutions Welcome You!

Every year, students from more than 150 countries grace the halls of institutions of higher learning throughout the United States.  Do you want to be one of them? Are you considering an overseas experience at a community college, a four-year college or university, or a technical school?  If you are, the United States may be the place for you!  As someone who began my overseas experiences as an exchange student, I can assure you that few experiences expands one’s mind and soul more than international travel and study.  Moreover, as Mark Twain once said, “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.”

The U.S. Embassy has a variety of ways we can help you to realize your potential and fulfill your dreams of studying in the United States.  We have a trained Education USA advisor ( who is ready to answer questions about the application process, scholarships, and, the most important task, finding a school that matches your academic interests and needs.

Before thinking about life in the United States, or the city and state that might be best for you, you should think about what you want to study.  Do you want to become an English teacher?  Engineer?  Computer programmer?  Tourist guide?  After determining the field of study that would be best for you, you will need to research the academic institutions that would be best for you.  The United States has thousands of academic programs across the whole nation.  Again, our Education USA advisor can steer you in the right direction, particularly to institutions that are affordable and/or have financial aid packages for international students.  Think creatively!

This is a good time to start your research if you are looking to study in the United States beginning in 2019 since the fall 2018 application dates are just around the corner.  The process of research schools and completing application forms can be significant.  Get an early start!

One more element of pursuing study in the United States is that you must qualify for the appropriate visa.  That means you will need to qualify for a student visa; the F visa is applicable for most programs at universities, colleges, seminaries, conservatories, and English language programs and the M visa is for vocational training programs.  A J visa would apply for exchange programs.  The U.S. government has a great web page that helps you confirm the type of visa you will need to attend your chosen school: (

We welcome you to consider the United States for your study needs and our many academic institutions would welcome you!

“Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” – Ibn Battuta